A new version of the NSF Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG), (NSF 13-1) has been issued. The PAPPG is comprised of documents relating to the Foundation’s proposal and award process and consists of the:
(a) Grant Proposal Guide (GPG) for guidance on the preparation and submission of proposals to NSF; and
(b) Award & Administration Guide (AAG) to guide, manage, and monitor the award and administration of grants and cooperative agreements made by the Foundation.
This new version of the PAPPG will be effective for proposals submitted, or due, on or after January 14, 2013. Significant changes include:
- Revisions to the NSF Merit Review Criteria which implement the National Science Board’s (NSB) recommendations. Changes will affect the project summary and project description sections of proposals. Annual and final reports also will be affected;
- Revision of the Biographical Sketch(es) instructions to rename the “Publications” section to “Products” and amend terminology and instructions accordingly;
- Clarification on indirect costs specifying that, except as noted in the PAPPG or a program solicitation, organizations must use the applicable negotiated indirect cost rate;
- Modification of Facilities, Equipment and Other Resources section of proposals to assist proposers in complying with the NSF cost sharing policy;
- Additional proposal certifications must be submitted by the Authorized Organizational Representative (AOR) covering organizational support of the proposed research, tax obligations/liability and felony convictions; and
- Numerous other clarifications also have been made throughout the document.
A by-chapter summary of the changes is provided at the beginning of both the Grant Proposal Guide and the Award & Administration Guide to assist with identifying the changes.